Fiori is great for sure, if you have already spend years in SAP, beautiful fiori tiles will capture you in seconds no doubt. However, most of existing SAP customers are disappointed shortly after facing the cold side of reality brought by Fiori.
Many of us, unfortunately a way from standart SAP functions, this makes standard Fiori activation mission impossible or a torture. But let's take this as an opportunity and tidy up your existing SAP solution landacape. In three simple steps you can get fast results:
1. Review and clasify non-standard add-ons: If you want instant results, start in-line with your UX plan. I mean if you want to transform your user experience in Human Capital Management, then do not waste time in Purchasing or Sales, just start with HCM. A good way to dig is to find the reasons:
We need everything automated by SAP even if it is not brought by SAP: This is the most common reason that we distort standard SAP. Almost every user wants a robotic solution which will work for them or instead of them. This idea drives SAP/IT teams to deliver a dream solution, however this only brings bugs, waste of resources and more support spendings. Just think, if it is so easy why SAP did not implemented this artificial intelligence wth thousands of developers and scientists.Please keep in mind that SAP is for recording business functions with seamless integration and deliver accurate information with the help of business users, not instead of business users. So please review your pain areas under this topic and prepare a list of non-standart homemade add-ons.
We are a unique company in our Industry, SAP does not fit: Sure you are different than your competitors, that is why you suceeded, however 80% of your processes are same among your competitors. You have spend time and money in order to implement your difference of 20%, however this swept down by the rest. Just focus on implementing 80% standard functions seamless and than find ways to be different. Keep in mind the pareto rule.
2. Prioritize the non-standard add-ons with rate calculation: Now you have prepared your list, it is time to prioritize them. Best way is the sort them by spendings. If you have one year spending data, this will be your criteria, also replacement cost will be another operand. Just divide spendings by replacement cost and sort them by ascending. Now you have the list. Please be sure that units are same Let me give an example: Your HCM Time Management Function is not standard and you have spend 30 mandays last year to support this homemade add-on. To replace this with standard SAP functionality will cost you appx. 50 mandays. Rate = Spendings / Replacement = 30 / 50 = 0.6 . Repeat this with other areas such as travel and expenses if non-standard. Finaly pick the biggest value as starting point.
3. Set up a project team and start immediately: Each and every day, you are loosing time, money and confidence, so do not wait. Just set up a team including business users, without real users, your transformation never ever will be successful. Please keep same team for Fiori activation if possible, this is the key sucess factor.